Church of St. Louis of the French

Catholic church · San Eustachio

2

Closed

"In 1589, the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi became the official churchof Rome’s French community, and with true Bourbon flair, the church's decorations are a celebration of France's power and wealth, with gilded stucco, lavish marbles, and detailed ornament. But it can feel as though no one is noticing, since visitorsusually head directly to the Contarelli Chapelin the transept to the left of the main altar, where three incredible Caravaggio paintings reside: The Calling of Saint Matthew , The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew , and Saint Matthew and the Angel . Known as the Matthew Cycle, the beautifully detailed and dark oil paintings show off the best of the baroque painter."

Our Favorite Things to Do in Rome
Photo by Martin Jung/age fotostock
·

Mar 16, 2022

Church of St. Louis of the French shared by @afar says: ""In 1589, the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi became the official churchof Rome’s French community, and with true Bourbon flair, the church's decorations are a celebration of France's power and wealth, with gilded stucco, lavish marbles, and detailed ornament. But it can feel as though no one is noticing, since visitorsusually head directly to the Contarelli Chapelin the transept to the left of the main altar, where three incredible Caravaggio paintings reside: The Calling of Saint Matthew , The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew , and Saint Matthew and the Angel . Known as the Matthew Cycle, the beautifully detailed and dark oil paintings show off the best of the baroque painter."" on Postcard